Monday, October 15, 2007

Everyone, I would like you to meet George.

Who is George you ask? Well, maybe you should ask what is George?!?!?! George is the peace lily that Ben and I recieved from Mom and Mark. I know it seems funny to give my plant a name but George and I have been through a lot together. It has been a rocky road for both of us, especially at the beginning when he first arrived. He started out very happy. He looked so proud and then one day I saw that he was drooping over with sadness. So immediately I checked his water situation and then moved him to a warmer place in the house. Two hours later he was back to his usual self. I was quite proud of myself for figuring out what was wrong until a few days later when he was sasd again. He did not want to tell me what was wrong so I kept moving him to different places. Let me tell you, his emotions must have been haywire. His leaves kept going up and down. Finally Mom came to visit and informed me the George wanted to move to a bigger place. I guess he was feeling quite cramped in his litte surroundings. So, Ben and I got him a 12 inch pot with a under bowl watering system ( nothing but the best for our George)! I am glad to say that George is quite happy in his new home, so happy that he has not drooped for a whole week! He is now permanately stationed in the kitchen on the table. Is was touch and go for awhile there but he pulled through!

9 comments:

Nick and Kelly McCormick said...

I, too, once had a suicidal peace lilly. It was happy before I let it stay for a week at Karen's during a John Deere move. After that (she left it in the garage during the winter cold), it never was quite the same...it went back and forth between life and death. Not liking weakness, I eventually made the decision for the darn lilly and put it in the garage with no lights to finish it off. Of course, after I put it in the garage, it lived for another month before biting the dust!

Grandma Budke said...

Peace lillies are quite notorious
for their ability to let their mas-ters know when they are thirsty!!!!Glad your mother recognized the need for a more spatious pot and you chose well---I really like the self-watering pots, but a word of caution--if you begin to get an odd whiff(since you're keeping it
indoors)a FEW drops of clorox should take care of it, but only a
drop or two, no more. Another tip:
they like ice when they're thirsty,
spread ice around the top of the plant and as it melts, it waters!
That might be a tip for when you're
going away. I use a self-watering
container for my outdoor plants on
the advice of my MG friends.
By the way, your place really looks festive!!!!

Grandma Budke said...

One more suggestion for George: he
won't do well in direct sun. They
like a filtered light---Stacy put one out on her patio and scorched the bee----- out of it.

Anonymous said...

As you know, I have a black thumb and not a green one, however, I too have a peace lilly from Hoss' funeral which I can proudly say is thriving and blooming very nicely, in......Matt's bathroom!!! I don't know if it is because there isn't much direct light or the fact that when Matt showers it becomes a sauna in there. When it does get droopy I just throw it in the bathtub and give it a good blast of water and let it drain in the tub. I have kept it alive for more than a year now and have to say it is the first time I've ever kept anything alive that long.

Aunt Gail

Anonymous said...

Thankyou for all of your advice!! I really want this plant to make it because Ben says I also have a black thumb!!!! I am really trying to work on my plant and flower abilities!!!
Kelly - I am sorry you had to do your plant in!
Kori

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KORI!!!!!

LOVE YOU!

AUNT GAIL

Grandma Budke said...

Kori:
Hope you have a SUPER, GREAT Birthday today!!!!!YOu know I'm not the best at remembering birthdays and for some reason I've always remembered yours as the 27th!!I suppose because that's the day you received a blood transfusion and I'm not too sure about that any more!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KORI MORI

Anonymous said...

okay..right now i am giving you the big "W" "O" but that's why i love you!! miss you and can't wait to see you..and thanks so so much for the comment benny benny boo boo...but which is it..grandma or cat lady? now i'm confused...
kendall

Anonymous said...

Kori
How the heck are you? I had two peace lillies both of which I kept alive until one bought the farm last year after having moved the poor thing from MN to three different homes in WI two during the winter. The other is still alive although it is droopy too (his name is George also - I name them after people who give them to me..) perhaps he needs a new pot as well. Or maybe he didn't enjoy his week in a dark hot storage unit while we searched for an apartment here... either way he is still alive It has never flowered again tried to once but I forgot to water him (oops!)- so good luck with your own George!
Hope someday to see you again! Hi to Ben! Give a holler if you ever head up to MN I'll come down and maybe we can have one at the Legion!
Alissa