Sunday, September 9, 2007

Two Turtle Doves

I'd like to share some pictures of the guests who've been residing at our mother's throughout the summer. Seems they're enjoying their stay at the "Cooper Bed and Breakfast For Birds" so much that they just can't leave. A pair of doves have made their home at mom's in her hanging basket on her front porch. They must find the plant comfortable and a wonderful home to rear offspring as they are on their third set of eggs. The previous eggs have hatched, grown, flew the coop, and left an "empty nest" for their parents. But it doesn't take long for nature to run it's course again and the female lays more eggs soon after.
I have to say, I am amazed every time I'm at Mom's at how calm these birds are. It's a little freaky walking by this plant each time you enter or exit the house and you look up to see two little eyes staring at you. Though, it seems they'd be extremely protective and try to scare people away, they don't. Never have they attacked anybody! It always runs through my head as I walk by them, though, that one of these times, one is just going to get a little irked and fly up at me!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure, but this might have been our fourth set of chicks. It's really kind of a pain because we can't water our plant unless the mother is off the nest. She does get a little testy, fluffing herself up if you get too close!!! Today I could only see one chick; I don't know if the other one flew off or what. The one left has been sitting on the edge of the nest, so I think he'll be leaving soon. Hope he doesn't head for those sunflowers left standing in the fields!!!!

Anonymous said...

How perfectly beautiful. I am a musician and at Christmas I enjoy that song of the Twelve Days of Christmas. I got this through the website of my cousin Cari Foster Spano. Her Mother and I are first cousins. Nita