Friday, August 10, 2007

WANTED: Seeing Eye Dog for Blind Basset Hound





As some of you know Fred recently had some cosmetic surgery done. Yes, his second eye was removed. I know what you are all thinking, why in the hell would you keep a blind dog? Well I will let you ask Ben that question because that was not the game plan. When his last eye started going bad we decided to put him down. I was the okne who was taking him to the vet and would have to tell them. As you all know, I am an emotional basket case so I cried to Ben until he said he would go in with me and tell them.
So the vet came in and confirmed that Fred was definately blind and continued to give us the options. Now this is when city vets and country vets are different. He told us that dogs do not get depressed when they are blind and they adapt very well. He also said that we could have the eye removed and if we did not think we could handle Fred then we could give him to a Basset Hound Rescue. Then he looked at us with disgust and said that we could end his life by putting him down. Well I don't know if Ben felt guilty, I know I could not look at the vet or poor Fred who was facing the wall barking at it.
Next thing I knew Ben told asked the vet when they could do the surgery and he said the next day. He left the room and I looked at Ben. He just said, "Oh well, it's just money." I said, "I know but we agreed to put him down." As you can see from the following pictures Ben won and we have a no eyed Basset Hound. Sorry, I am not good at this posting thing. I thought the pictures would show up after the writing. Oh well, you get the picture.
Here are some pictures of Moose and Leah. Moose is really enjoying Chester's old bed and Leah's hair is growing back and she is really looking better!!!!!! So, those pictures went to the top too. Anyway, that is all the news I have here! Can't wait to see everyone over Labor Day weekend!!!!!

Please scratch all comments about the pictures all being at the top. I just figured it out!!! Yeah for me!!! So, that's all folks!!!

14 comments:

Grandma Budke said...

Kori & Ben, What was the diagnosis
for Fred's eyes that resulted in
their needing to be removed, I don't think that I've ever heard.
I agree that blindness is not a reason for having him put down,but how is he doing now?
Does the vet have suggestions for the two of you in dealing with a
blind dog or is he just letting you find out for yourselves?

Grandma Budke said...

P.S.Good to hear from you two again!

Anonymous said...

Does this mean you and Ben are now official "Seeing Eye People"???

Kori said...

Well he was diagnosed with glaucoma in both eyes which they say is rare for dogs to get it in both eyes and at the same time. But I suppose we are the lucky ones!! He is kind of like a baby. He is fine until he realizes that everyone left the room so he starts whining. They say he should get used to it shortly but who knows. He does run into quite a few things and we have to get baby gates for the stairs so he does not fall down them. I suppose we are seeing eye people!!! We wish that Leah could lead him around but she is too hyper!!!!!!!!! Oh and we are not supposed to move any furniture around!!!!

Anonymous said...

Erin Stone said she has read that it is recommended that you have another dog (which I told her you do) and put a bell around the other dog's neck. That way, Fred could follow Leah around, if he could keep up with her!!! It might be worth a try.

Anonymous said...

I think you can take the tag off the cat bed!!!

Anonymous said...

I laughed SO hard when I read this! I had to tell the people in my office about it because they were wondering why I was laughing so hard in my office all by myself! Kori doesn't post often, but when she does, it's hysterical!

Anderson said...

Kori, I believe you should have just told the vet that instead of sending Fred to a pet rescue center, you were going to start one. You have a dog from us, a cat from Kendall, and a Bassett Hound that's blind. Seriously, forget teaching, you can stay at home, raise a family and some dogs and cats while you're at it!!! You guys are crazy...and extremely patient!!

Anderson said...

I forgot to mention how good Leah looks! I miss her so much, but she looks happy, and I know she is well taken care of at the B/K Machlitt rescue home for dogs and cats!

Anonymous said...

haha...poor Fred Leroy or Fredly Roy...whichever!! You two crack me up, but I do have to say that Fred looks good. So does Leah! And my kitty is so stinking cute!! Love you guys and miss you lots!!

Kendall

Bella said...

Aww, your basett is so sweet!
I also have a no eyed/blind basset :)
How old is yours?
Errm I don't know how to work this thing or if you'll be able to reply or anything, but drop me an email if you want!
bellywebb@hotmail.com

Bella said...

OH! & by the way my dog had the same infection in her eyes which meant they had to be removed (one a year or so after the other)

Anonymous said...

I have a 2 year old Basset who had a sudden onset of Blastomycosis resulting in blindness. We have her left eye removed 3 weeks ago, a biopsy was done on that eye and confirmed the diagnosis. Unfortunately, it was in both eyes and she is now blind in her remaining eye as well - but still has that eye. We've been treating her with anti-fungal medicine and drops and she is responding very well. Our daughter works as a dog trainer and said, "just don't move the furniture and she will be fine". So far, so good. Bailey is happy and except for running into stuff (she is doing much much better after 2 weeks), you would not know she could not see out of her remaining eye.

If anyone has any helpful hints on training Bailey I'd appreciate it - just post your ideas please. We've only had her 6 months now and was in the process of training her when this all happened.

Anonymous said...

It's interesting to see just how pervasive virtual memory has become in our every day lives. It's like everywhere I turn, I see something with a card slot or USB jack, haha. I guess it makes sense though, considering how much more afforable memory has become lately...

Gahhhh, who am I to complain. I can't make it through a single day without using my R4 / R4i!

(Submitted by Nintendo DS running [url=http://does-the-r4-r4i-work-with-the-new-ds.onsugar.com/Does-R4i-R4-actually-work-7232282]R4i[/url] PostNet)